Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sally Forth as Written by a Japanese School Girl

Humor is international. Mind you, I'm not claiming that Sally Forth is in any way funny. I'm just saying that sometimes it takes someone several continents away with a preliminary grasp of English to actually make Sally Forth funny.

To wit, I received the following email from one of the great contributors at Something Awful Forums:

"I'm Sarah...I'd been posting newspaper comic strips from the states as rewritten by my junior high school students. I teach English in Japan. I'd been considering sending a few of them off to the original writers and artists but never got around to it. Your appreciation for robot monkey-inserts made me regret it, so I wanted to at least get Sally Forth's re-imagination to you, as it was coincidentally one of the better ones. For the project I took about a week of strips from various comics, erased the dialogue and handed them out to my class of 20 15-year-olds to do as they wished. Sally Forth was selected and rewritten by a happy girl named Makoto. I hope you find it as amusing as I certainly did."

And so, with that in mind, here's Japan's better answer to Sally Forth, which would be no doubt called Ted Forth: Heartless Bastard (Click on images to make larger):

9 comments:

Naked Bunny with a Whip said...

Dangit, you American translators always change the plot!

Red said...

As a frequent user of the Something Awful forums, I can say I would have never started reading Sally Forth if not for them, and it's pretty great that rather than sue them into the ground for their edits or something you post them on your blog for all to see.

You rule.

D.B. Echo said...

Holy crap. You totally could have gone there with the Aria character! She could be all the things we've already seen her as - cool and cute and damn-near-perfect - but also possessing a tragic flaw of being completely mentally imbalanced in her personal life.

We never did see what happened afted Ted adnd Sally went into the party where Aria was also a guest, unless I missed those strips!

Kaitlyn said...

The last one was funny - "she wants me to bring up the kitten."

yellojkt said...

I smell a comic strip writer about to get outsourced.

2fs said...

yello: Look, cartoonists work at home, so if they don't bathe, it's really not that big a deal.

Tom said...

Her dialog has a "so close, yet so far" aspect to it that's just hilarious.

Unknown said...

I fall in love with something new every time I read this; my affections currently are focused on "I want to strike you later."

Aviatrix said...

That's hilaristurbing.