Monday, July 28, 2008

My Week Drawing "Bizarro": Day One



Over the course of drawing this week's strips I gradually began to realize I compose comic panels like Kevin Smith composes film scenes: groups of two or three people talking, captured in a medium shot, ad infinitum.

So understanding that I in no way possess the artistic genius and eye for composition of Bizarro creator, good friend and all-around mensch Dan Piraro, I instead sought to compensate with a series of comics on psychoactive drugs, fundamentalism and transgender copyright infingement. I hope it proves to be a fun week for all.

As for today's strip, I'm glad I was finally able to put to use the many hours I spent skimming my roommate's DSM-IV while I was an unofficial student at Cornell Medical School (all made possible by dating a neurology student and somehow winding up with almost unlimited access to the school's library, computers and classrooms). Alas, I never was able to get into the anatomy lab, where two of my now-married best friends first locked eyes over the open corpse of an unclaimed hobo.

Frankly, if that doesn't say "the start of a beautiful relationship" then there may not be hope for any of us.

Please tune in tomorrow when my next Bizarro strip covers break-ins and the elementary school black market.

PS: When I called Mssr. Piraro last night to see how he enjoyed San Diego Comic Con, he was sitting on the front lawn of a Hollywood mansion after an all-star animal rights fete, somewhat inebriated on top-shelf Scotch and chatting with the niece of Dr. Jonas Salk (all the while trying to convince me she has polio). I was sitting on an Ikea couch yelling at Wordpress. Lesson: The famous really do live different than you and me...Well, definitely me...

4 comments:

Robert said...

No pie, firecracker or space alien? Are these (TM)(R)(c) of Sir P, that you aren't allowed to use them?

Good job with the joke, though--nicely surrealistic in a Bizarro kind of way! Hope this exposure adds to your legion of fans.

jfruh said...

Oh, how I've missed Medium Large Guy's patented look of wordless crumple-mouthed horror!

yellojkt said...

Someday you too will be a RockStar like Piraro. So far so good. And I have seen a fair amount of ML slipping into SF lately. Keep it up.

DrBear said...

So...Medium Large as a one-panel? Does that make it Economy Size Medium Large?