In the spirit of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday (and under the advice of my therapist at the free clinic) I decided to showcase my gratitude early and share what I have to be thankful for over the past eleven months. I hope you are moved in turn to respond with your own list or just send a check made out to “Cash.”
• A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, for proving what I have always said—that a perfectly acceptable holiday feast can consist of jelly beans, toast, popcorn and pretzel sticks served on a ping-pong table and catered by a dog and bird.
• Jehovah’s Witnesses, because it’s nice to have company stop by every so often.
• The eight pounds I lost on the Atkins Diet, on top of the 20 lost due to poor grocery budgeting.
• My new personal motto, “Never give up, never surrender” (replacing my old mantra, “Oh Christ, it’s morning”).
• Learning from flyer on street light that my current residence is to be replaced with Super Target, meaning greater access to low, low prices.
• Lots and lots and lots of Effexor.